Saturday, April 11, 2009

Sun Opposition Pluto - Bitchy? Who, me?

Sun Opposition Pluto is a natal aspect indicative of deep psychological tension. It causes the Sun (the self, conscious will) and Pluto (upheaval, transformation) to work against each other and create conflict "behind the scenes" where the native is not fully aware. The Sun and Pluto are both tremendously powerful energies, so it naturally follows that this aspect will be exceptionally difficult. It suggests that most of the problems and challenges that arise for the native will concern their interpersonal relationships and be created or stimulated by their own unconscious expression of control.

Sun Opp Pluto natives possess a fierce, iron will that often leads to an aggressive, forceful, extremist temperament, particularly against those they feel are trying to control them. It is difficult for them to allow situations to unravel slowly and naturally, so they often "jump the gun" and spoil things in their haste to gain control over a situation before it gains control of them. There is a pattern here of taking ownership of situations before they are fully realized and a penchant for acting on impulse without fully considering the long term ramifications of their actions. Once the damage is finally done, Sun Opp Pluto will often stand back and truly not understand where that damage came from.

There is almost always a perceived inability to express or reveal their true personalities to others. They experience a simultaneous urge to express themselves (Sun) and to hide themselves (Pluto). Internally, they are especially sensitive to criticism and so feel the need to "redo" themselves often. Their intense fear of losing control typically stems from childhood, which may have been crisis-ridden or emotionally-charged due to the father figure (Sun). As a result, natives go through great pains to protect themselves by attempting to control every part of their lives in order to ensure they are never taken off guard again.

To others, the will and personality of Sun Opp Pluto natives seems overbearing, provocative and dominating. Natives will go to great lengths in order to steer every situation which touches their lives themselves, an obsession which stems from an intense fear of what may happen if they let go of control. This is why they are compelled to always be in the position of authority and are so cruelly rebellious when roles are reversed. For individuals with this aspect, a lack of control in outward situations translates directly to a lack of control of the inner self. Although they appear on the outset to be untouchable and even cruel, the main theme of this aspect is actually deep fear.

Since their conscious and unconscious mind are feeding them opposing information, it may seem to others that the native is undergoing constant identity changes. These shifts are merely an expression of dissatisfaction with the self they are projecting, as they are fearful of and uncomfortable with their evolving ego. These changes coupled with their fear of exposing themselves causes problems with others, who see them as both insincere and untrustworthy. Others presume the great legnths they go to in order to preserve their privacy proves that they have something sinister to hide, which becomes even more problematic when taken into the context of Sun Opp Pluto's powerful forcefulness. The truth is, their fear of being exposed is truly a fear of being vulnerable, as well as a manifestation of their own ongoing identity crisis. Though internally the native may be aware of these fears and the pure vulnerability behind their changes and obsession with privacy, others who have experienced their rough exterior will not recognize it's root and regard the native as callous, manipulative and cruel. These conflicts with others will repeat ad nauseum and cause the native much distress, leading them to become overly attached to things, habits, and their past. Being surprised or unsure can lead to vulnerability and misunderstanding, so why not return to what you already know?

If you're an Aries Sun who was born between 1971 and 1983 you have this aspect. If you are a late Pisces/early Taurus Sun, you may as well. The degree to which the opposition takes place will determine how strong an influence the aspect has on your life. In my case, the opposition is a tight 0°39.

Since Pluto is a "generational planet" (most people in your peer group will share your Pluto by sign), an individual with this aspect natally will also share it in synastry with virtually everyone they come in contact with. In this way, Sun Opposition Pluto says just as much about the how the aspected individual treats herself as it does about how they interact with the world around them.

13 comments:

J.R said...

Man, I looked up all over the internet, anda I never saw an aproach about sun oposition pluto so good as yours, Thanks for writing this !

Anonymous said...

Yes I agree Silvio-Its both well expressed and elegant

Anonymous said...

I have this, also opposite Saturn...I would like some help

Anonymous said...

Someone I know is like this and she HAS to be in control of EVERYTHING. And when something isn't done exactly as she wants, she freaks out big time on anyone around her. She will dwell on things and if she feels anyone has slighted her in any way (even if they haven't) she will hold a massive grudge until she gets riled up about something else. Her sun is in Aquarius, so she's super stubborn on top of this. She will scream and yell if things don't go as planned, but god forbid if anyone yells back at her. >_<

Anonymous said...

unbelievably prescient, an exact description. Although your title, "bitchy" says it all and says it best. Until I saw this description, I was at a loss to comprehend who and what I was dealing with.

Anonymous said...

I have this aspect within 3 degrees. Very good analysis. Just today I was walking around in disguise. I've often wondered why I'm so obsessed with with conflict, war, and death, and feel incredible tension beneath pulling in different directions: Sun in Aries opposite Pluto within 3 degrees makes a lot of sense.

Anonymous said...

I HAVE MY ARIES SUN OPPOSING PLUTO AT 1 DEGREE. SUN IN THE SECOND OPOSING PLUTO IN 8TH. ITS BEEN REAL. NOT AN EASY PATH. HANG IN THERE ,SERVICE FOR OTHERS THAT ARE IN NEED IS A GATE OF FREEDOM FOR US. THINK OF OTHERS AND GIVE.

Anonymous said...

So what does this aspect say about the person's childhood ? The father had issues ? Disappeared ? Died ?
Power freak Dad ?

Anonymous said...

My ex-partner has this opposition - very true! Constant under the carpet struggles and manipulation - he had worn a dozen masks (his sun in Piscis conjunct Chiron!!! on top things) and still I am not sure if I ever saw his true face. Very very emotionally challenging! I would describe him as a very wise and cruel little child - vampire! However it seems to be my cup of tea - with scorpio on the descendant in my natal chart. Harsh but tremendous experience for me.

Anonymous said...

After reading this I think my father must have had this aspect natally. He was an alcoholic abuser, with a clear borderline syndrome (Dr Jekyll/Mr. Hyde personality) and it's clear to me now that I've must have soaked up his feelings and emotionall patterns (the sun = father).
My natal moon is in the 8th house, together with Saturn, so it's really no surprise.

I haven't had any contact with my father for almost 10 years now, deciding long ago to cut his abuse from my life, but this pattern remains in me - and thus I've spent a lot of money on hypnosis, psychologists and every other "healer" I've come across to purge myself of these patterns, and yet, there are still elements of him in me.

This article is rock spot on my own fear of losing control, being exposed and vulnerable and choosing to call the guns before the situation hits. Also the domineering personality and "dictatorship" was rather eye-opening, because that's how I tend to act in a relationship.
Constant inner tension between my needs and others' needs (moon in libra, 8th house), forcing my will onto others... This article made me very sad, because it was also very enlightening to me and my own behavior.

But knowledge is power, and so I have bookmarked this article to read it again from time to time, just to remind myself that this isn't MY doing - it's my father's deeds and inner tension I'm acting out, and somehow I need to stop myself from becoming him.

I hope I will succeed! :-)

J.Ortega said...

I have this aspect though good thing the orbs are not that tight (4 degree orb) but still a close one. While I'm not at all cruel and bitchy thanks to my sun trining my moon (my tightest sun aspect) & neptune but I'm a loner, introverted, very secretive, hates to be exposed & I value privacy very much even to my dearest ones. When betrayed or hurt, I get vindictive & I do have melancholic tendencies (Sun-Pluto plus Moon-Saturn).

Unknown said...

This is a very good write. I appreciate this. Nothing i read as close to this. Its like reading about myself. I still dont know how to sort it out. I laughed at the ' jump the gun'. So me.

Ale said...

This is the BEST description I have read of about this aspect so far since I got into astrology 10 years ago! Amazingly well!

Post a Comment